Sunday, June 3, 2012

Cooshinator - Buttpoop EP



Cooshinator’s new EP, the Buttpoop EP is a fantastic example of chip house. Back in the day, he sent me an early copy of two tracks off of it. I remember listening and being surprised at the kid’s melodic sense! There are some very very cool elements in it that I think would appeal to a large percentage of the house-y crowd. It sure appealed to me!

The kick drum stands out to me. Kicks in general are pretty much the second most important part of EDM to me. If it doesn’t have a good sounding kick, it won’t keep my interest. Well, Coosh’s percussion sounds great, so don’t you worry about that. The bass he boosted with EQ (I’m assuming!) really helped bring out some of the important lower ideas like the kick and the cool basslines.

As far as content goes, the ideas, harmonies, and melodies are all great and really appeal to me as an avid EDM listener. Very cool in that regard. However, every album has it’s flaws. There are two things that really stand out to me about the album in a not so great way: the length of the tracks, and the sound design (minus kick).

The length is fine for some people! A lot of the dance community listens to tracks upwards of 6:00 all the time! And I think that’s cool with regular dance, but that’s not really my thing. Personally I like chip tracks to be between 3:00 and 5:00. It’s a shorter amount of time to really get the message across, and the shorter it is the more likely someone is to 1. Listen to it the whole way or 2. Listen to it more than once because they want to hear certain parts again. Again, this is just my opinion! It’s not a negative factor for the album; it’s just not a plus for me!
Going on, the sound design could be more interesting! It sounds like the majority of the leads/basses are very similar! Which is cool as well; we’re not all gonna be as varied as Roboctopus’ instruments, or Zef’s, or mine, that’s just our styles. But, it would be nice to hear a more technical side of Coosh! I know he can do it, and I know this is his sophomore release (a pretty damn good one at that!).

Overall, this album is really really great. 



GO LISTEN!

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment